Creamy, brine-y and tangy tofu “egg” salad
This creamy, brine-y and tangy tofu "egg" salad bring all the flavor of the traditional dish without the cholesterol, carbon-emissions or cruelty involved in the production of chicken eggs. Plus, added health benefits from swapping eggs out for soy. Versatile tofu does it again!
- 1 cup veganaise (vegan mayo)
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp capers
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2×15 oz blocks extra-firm tofu, chopped into ¼-inch cubes
- Optional: 1/4 c chopped green onions
- Sandwich bread
- Spring greens, optional
- Pickled red onions, optional
- Radish slices, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo, olive oil, mustard, capers, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix in the tofu and then lightly crumble it with your hands, keeping some of the cubes intact to mimic the texture of egg salad.
- Stir in the green onions. Chill until ready to serve.
- Assemble as sandwiches, if desired.