Fresh and Tangy Chickpea Tahini Salad
This tangy, fresh chickpea tahini salad is delicious on its own or in a sandwich or wrap. A budget-friendly staple in your lunch rotations and an ideal picnic or camping food.
- 1 Food processor
- 4 14-oz cans chickpeas
- 2 red onions finely chopped (toss roughly cut quarters in the food processor with an s-blade for quick dicing)
- 3 c kale finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic (squeeze garlic or pre-minced garlic is nice for a more mellow flavor, as fresh can cause it to have a bite); or 2 tsp garlic powder, or 4 tsp pre-minced garlic
- 3 lemons juiced
- 3 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour half the chickpeas into a food processor and blender until the mixture sticks together. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the other half of chickpeas into the food processor and blend until roughly chopped. Add to the bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the large bowl: finely diced onion, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Mix together. Finally, incorporate kale leaves.
- Serve on its own or in a sandwich or wrap. If making as a sandwich to eat later, toast the bread before making to help prevent the bread from getting soggy and layer kale leaves between the bread and chickpea salad. Enjoy!