Caramelized Vegan Coconut Macaroons in Dark Chocolate
Who says you need eggs to make macaroons? The secret here is coconut milk, cornstarch and turning on the broiler at the end of baking to create these caramelized vegan coconut macaroons.
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp full-fat canned coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 325. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together coconut, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add coconut milk and stir until the mixture is wet enough that you can squeeze it together into a medium firm ball.
- With a cookie scoop that holds about 2 Tbsp, scoop out balls, pack in tightly and dollop onto baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on low for 1-2 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- While cooling, microwave about 2 cups dark chocolate in a bowl. Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate. Enjoy!