Easy and Hearty Slow Cooker Vegan Mole
A unique spice blend of chili powder, cocoa, cinnamon and cumin create the depth of flavor in this Mexican classic. This hearty vegan mole features tofu, chickpeas and sweet potatoes for a rich and healthy meal.
- 1/2 cup light cooking oil, such as avocado
- 6 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 medium red onions, finely diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 oz blocks tofu, frozen, thawed, pressed and finely diced freezing the tofu first makes it easier to extract more moisture
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 oz dairy-free dark chocolate (at least 70%) (about 6 squares)
- 6 cups mushroom or vegetable stock
- cilantro for serving (optional)
- brown or white rice for serving
- Chop veggies and drain and press tofu.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan or skillet. Add chili powder, cacao, oregano, cinnamon, cumin and paprika and heat until bubbling and very fragrant, about 60 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine all veggies, tofu, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and spice paste in slow cooker. Add sugar, salt, chocolate and veggie stock.
- Stir to mix well and cook on High for 5 hours. Adjust with additional salt to taste, if necessary.
- Serve with rice and toppings of choice. Enjoy!